Tuesday, April 29, 2014

From Buckles #2


Taken in Peru in the 1930's, Mr. Stiles third from right.

Letter from Bill Woodcock to Col. Sturtevant 1/8/41

"I was with the S-F elephants for three seasons and of course closely associated with the boss animal man Emery Stiles who started in show business in the 1870's but Emery was not much of a talker and I was never very successful in drawing him out.
On the contrary when I worked for Bert Noyes on the H-W Show, I found that he liked nothing better than to get an audience of punks, such as I was at the time, and relate many heroic and thrilling experiences incurred with Wallace & Anderson, Gollmar Bros. wagon show, etc.
Incidentally good old Bert never failed to give himself the best of it in these tales."

1 comments:

Ole Whitey said...

Must be about 1935 as I see the HW-4-Paw-Sells title on the wagon behind these fine folks.