Saturday, March 29, 2014

"Charlie" #1


In 1974 Rex Williams bought an elephant that was too small to fit into his act so he called me up at Circus World and asked if we had a larger one that he could swap for.
I went up to the office and explained the situation to Chappie who in turn called Kenneth who in turn said to tell me to do whatever I wanted, simple as that.
Imagine that today, it would take 2 Boston Lawyers and 3 Government Agencies over a year  just to handle the paper work.
This is "Charlie" being delivered Nov. 22, 1974 and I gave Rex one of the elephants out of my 7 act that he renamed "Gyp" and who later to become the mother of "Brat".

3 comments:

Ryan Easley said...

Buckles ,
Too bad you didn't arrange for royalties for each calf later sired by Charlie. Feld's response to you probably begot the biggest return on any investment he ever made !

Buckles said...

I saw him not long ago, I think he now falls into the Wooley Mammoth category.

Dennis said...

I remember back in the elephant barn in Hugo about 1976. I was green on the show.
I walked into the barn to see several hands holding blow torches and burning off excess hair.
James, one of the crew,was with a blazing torch, going at Isla, 5 years old. I remember so well his words to the frightened animal. "Stand still Isla, yo haid is on fire."