Sunday, July 29, 2012

Elephant Capture #16

Elephant%20Capture-16 by bucklesw1
Elephant%20Capture-16, a photo by bucklesw1 on Flickr.

With the new captive in tow, the expedition then returned to the station. (All of these images are frame enlargements from a 1-reel short subject released by Castle Films in the early 1940s under the title WILD ELEPHANT ROUNDUP.) It is my understanding that the Belgian Government’s elephant domestication stations have not been in operation for many years. If you have more information about them, your sharing it with the rest of us will be greatly appreciated.

5 comments:

John Herriott said...

I believe all of this has been gone back to the natives as it is no longer the "Belgian Congo."

Chic Silber said...

I believe that's the same as many

of the African colonies John

As of a while back there are 2

different Congos side by each

Similar to 2 Sudans

Eric said...

Some of you probably remember an old pop song titled “Civilization” the lyrics to which went:

Bongo, bongo, bongo, I don't wanna leave the Congo, oh no no no no no
Bingo, bangle, bungle, I'm so happy in the jungle, I refuse to go
Don't want no bright lights, false teeth, doorbells, landlords, I make it clear
That no matter how they coax him, I'll stay right here

Chic Silber said...

I do remember the tune but never

knew the title

Buckles said...

It wrapped up with:
They got things like the Atom Bomb
So I think I'll stay where I "om"!