Sunday, February 27, 2011

From Roger Smith #1

BUCKLES:

To compliment ERIC's entries on the incredible Johnsons, here are two of their books. I got Osa's book by a sheer quirk of fate. I can spot a bentwood chair at 100 yards, at any speed. On a lonely, 2-lane road in Texas, one sat outside a country flea market. After claiming my prize for a fin, I ventured inside, and was drawn to the book section. Here was Osa's I MARRIED ADVENTURE, in the zebra-print cover. I stand to be corrected, but this one is copyrighted 1940, with no further printing history, so it possibly is a first edition. The lady in charge of books was the quintessential small-town schoolmarm. The owner set his beer down, looked me over, and said, "Aw, let him have it for a dollar." The schoolmarm liked to fainted. Noted here are Osa's other books, OSA JOHNSON'S JUNGLE FRIENDS, JUNGLE BABIES, and JUNGLE PETS.

This copy of Martin Johnson's LION was copyrighted in 1929, with a 4th impression listed for September, 1931. This copy does not list other works by him, but notes that all photos are his, as Osa's are hers. Lest anyone think their works are outdated, let yourself open them to enjoy the immersion of raw excitement and genuine adventure by two of the most respected naturalists ever to go on safari. Thanks to ERIC for sending me into the trunks to re-discover the Johnsons.

Roger Smith



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roger, There is also "Congorilla"
and "Safari" by Martin. There are relatively newer editions of "I Married Adventure" with more photos added.
Mini note: The late Herb Clement, longtime Circus Fan, "Great Circus Parade" book co author (with Dominique Jando)and retired zoo director used to occasionally recall the day Osa Johnson spoke at his grade school. The one comment he particularly remembered was when she mentioned being awakened in the middle of the night while on safari by a horrible noise which she thought was some wild creature. As she told the kids, it turned out to be Martin snoring.

Best, Paul Gutheil

PS I've gotten some fun comments over the years when I wear my "I Married Adventure" t shirt.

Karen Glenn said...

That was going to be my book's title...LOL...I would love to read it. Darlene Williams should write a book, after being married to Ben for so much longer. Maybe we should collaborate. Wouldn't that be something to read??/ J/K Yall....Karen