Saturday, September 27, 2008

From Dave Price #1


PosChMen, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

I think this is the bill Paul was thinking about. Art Miller told me that he took this Christy Bros litho by Riverside to Central Show Print (I think it was) and told them to redraw it and to (1) move the elephant line to the center, (2) put a cage over a hippo so there would be a place for the lettering and (3) throw in some giraffes.

Of course in time people began to copy the bill; eventually it was a stock poster that Enquirer put out and I believe Acme (John and Grace Hoffman) also reproduced it. Bill Kasiska gave me my first copy of this many years ago. I have had to reproduce it here from the Bandwagon as I don't have one of those modern digital cameras. Maybe someone will send in a color pic of this one.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Dave!! Yes, I recall the KM menagerie litho but didn't know its origins.

The bill I was thinking of must be the stock design from Enquirer or Acme. I've seen one titled C&B from the Jack Moore era of the '60s or D.R. Miller of the '70s.