Saturday, February 25, 2006

Al G. Kelly & Miller Bros. Circus 1946-47


Only "Tena" is kept after the purchase of the Russell Bros. Circus elephants from Art Concello, "Mary Ann" and "Mona" were sold to Floyd King. They now have an impressive looking herd: "Margaret", "Elsie", "Tena", "Daisy", "Dixie" and "Myrtle".

As often mentioned before, I would never have gotten into the elephant business had my dad not needed a truck driver after he got his own elephant act. On rare occasions, like when we were playing a shopping center parking lot, he might let me work the act but the audience, rather than watch me, much more enjoyed my father at the back of the ring yelling "No!, "No!", No!" Can't you do anything right?'.
My big break came when D.R. booked three rings of elephants on the Texas Shrine Dates in the mid-1950's and was short a herd-worker. So I worked the three elephants above at left, in an end ring, "Margaret", "Elsie" and "Tena" or I should say they worked me. Everything started out fine, all three rings finished together but it didn't take long for the wise old elephants to figure out they had a chump and worked slower and slower, the other two rings (worked by Logan and John Carroll) would have to wait longer and longer for me to finish.
When the dates concluded, if there had been one more day, the elephants would have been walking backwards. I had a nice uniform tho.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Master of the Blog. You have my heart felt respect this morning. Now that mush is over, Is this my Margret? This is the real thing here. Were Tena and Margret the same age? Did Gene take Margret to Mexico for Sarah to ride?

Buckles said...

"Margaret" was sold to Gran Circo Union (Fuentes) in 1965. Did Gene take her down there?

Anonymous said...

I think it was OKIE who told me Gene took her with him when he went to Mexico and trained Sarah to ride her. No Circus name was given. I am not sure. The years from 1958 to 1968 are blurry to me. I am trying to get them straight for my[BOOK]. I know so little about Gene. We were together for three years and it amazes me that we knew so little. At that age we were more interested in survival in the future that we did not have time for the past. I am so sorry now. Regrets I have a few. but then again to few to mention[copyed] Little did I know those regrets would come back to haunt me.

GaryHill said...

So Capt. what do you have planned for your day tommorrow? Or is tonite the night y'all will trip the night fantastic? In case I sleep in tommorrow let me say now-"Happy Birthday" ! I'll drink a toast to you tonight over a margarita!!!! Gary

Anonymous said...

Hello,This post concerns a photo from two weeks ago,but I though I would ask here,since only current posts are usually answered.
Would you have any info concerning the various elephant line ups of the Frank A. Robbins show,
1881-1891?
I know they had leased a number if not most of their elephants from Adam Forepaugh show.
Around 1888, George Craig was the boss animal man and Mark"Nosey"Monroe was in charge of elephants.
Back then"Dick"was in the elephant band.

Buckles said...

Just at a glance at the Frank A. Robbins elephants I have "Charlie", "Topsy", "Gold Dust","George", "Billy" and "Jack" leased from Forepaugh 1886 thru 1889.

Anonymous said...

according to Don Marcks/ELEPHANT HISTORY/CIRCUS REPORT.
"Billy" and "Jack" died in a train fire in Monticello New York in July 1889.
What about"Dunk" the Forepaugh elephant that along with
"Gold Dust",James E. Cooper donated to the National Zoo
April 30th 1891.
Dunk was reported to be about 25 years old then,what is his background?
thank you

Anonymous said...

Romeo(or Romey) was another elephant with the Frank Robbins show back around then.
Did they own any elephants or just rent them all?

Buckles said...

DUNCAN

1882-90 Adam Forepaugh Circus
1891 Philadelphia Qtrs.
1891-17 Washington DC Zoo
(Donated to zoo 4/30/91 by
the show's president
James Cooper)

GaryHill said...

OK, it's offically the 26th in Fla. I'm about ready to hit the hay so I wanted to say "Happy Birthday Buckles!"

GaryHill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.