Sunday, January 29, 2006

Circus kids #1/ St. Louis Police Circus 1961


I must have misled everyone about last night's banquet. The Windjammers are not circus people but musicians who enjoy playing circus music and come down every winter record music, present a concert at the Ringling Museum and conclude today by playing for Sailor Circus at the Sarasota High School. The pre show band is huge and will play in the center ring and then be reduced down to circus size for the performance.
John Herriott will be the Ringmaster at today's circus and was therefore invited to sit at the speakers table. I was similarly invited since I contributed photos from my web site of several old time Band Masters for their Windjammers magazine. Howard Tibbals was keynote speaker.
The joint was jumpin', must have been in excess of 300 musicians and families, after the dinner and speeches, we chatted with Don and Jan Covington of whom I asked if their return to Big Apple was a "come home, all is forgiven" scenario but he said not.
The evening concluded with members forming a Glen Miller type band for dancing but we left rather early since the Colonel and my tastes lean more toward Led Zeppilin. When I dropped off Johnny at home, I found Mary Ruth, Cindy and Roy Wells watching old videos and to my amazement saw the Ringling Park immediately after we left for the Blue Show. First footage I had ever seen of the polar bear act when it was there, I had no idea they did a web number (Bud, do you remember Jenny Sue?) the Herriotts working the liberty act, Axel' elephants. The train was gone and replaced by specs floats from the touring shows. Christ what has happened to the business? That show was so much better than the crap they carry around the country today.
By the way Karen, when I left for the banquet, Barbara and Baby Kay had their arms around each other watching a scary movie on TV and dressed in granny gowns. And if you saw a picture of me today you would immediately call Mt. Olivet Cemetary in Oklahoma and advise them to start mowing around the elephant tomb stone.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is the Lad? My little sisters were very disappointed with the Stooges as they expected them to be like on TV. I did not think girls understood the sick humor of them in the first place. They sure would not fit todays Political Correctness profile.

Buckles said...

That's Ben. His job was to guard the cigar that Curly Joe is holding in his right hand while they worked.

Buckles said...

Dalilah lives in spinsterhood in an apartment in Tampa near Verizon where she works.
She drives here every Sunday and we go to Beef O'Brady for out weekly beer and burger.

Anonymous said...

The 3 Stooges were a side splitting comedy team for me. Like Rebecca states; most girls didn't care so much for " slapstick " &
there raw, simple, male oriented hummor.

I'll bet Jenny Sue did though !

Yes Buckles, when you transfered to the Blue Unit the Park went through a transformation to accomedate the different acts arriving. Mr.& Mrs Herriott came on & also did Circus Educational Lectures & Presentations along with " Snowball " there beautiful white miniature pony prior to the shows.

I ; was fortunate to solely redesign & exicute the Stage Set for the new show with Don Foote's OK.

I've always compared The Park to the 6 or so permanate 1 ring facilities in Russia that the Circuses functioned in some time ago now. Are " they " presently active with the political changes haven taken place the last decades ? Maby an American Entreprenour could do something like that here in America eliminating the cost of relocating so frequently & keeping all thoes shows small & very sweet ! With live Bands !!!

Anonymous said...

I doubt if Daliah will appreciate the term spinsterhood. My son Malcolm always had a crush on her when he traveled with the Big Apple.

Anonymous said...

I would never have guessed Ben. Being single in today world is the way to go. Any female who supports herself, loves her job and life don't not need marriage. I always said I can be miserable by myself, I don't need a pardner to help. Then again I don't think a pardner could live my life style and I would not put another human being through it. They could not be that bright to begin with and I don,t need another stupid.

Anonymous said...

Girls. Something even more compy then Granny gowns is a mans flannel sleep shirt. I bought one from LL Bean years ago as a joke for my x. He loved it and had me buy more. Talk about warm and cozy. You can always attach lace to the sleeves and collar. The mans size is very roomy.

Pat Cashin said...

Did the Stooges perform a lot of circus dates? I know they ran themselves ragged through the late 50s and early 60s doing personal appearances to make up for all the money Columbia didn't pay them.

I believe that they worked there for 25 years, never once got a raise and got stiffed on residuals when their shorts were sold to television.

That's why they made so many movies, did so much TV and so many personal appearances. It was their retirement fund!

I know that they must have done at least a few circus appearances.
A friend once sent me a photo that he claimed was taken in when the Ringling show came to L.A. in the early 60s.

It's the Stooges, dressed pretty much as they are here, and the Rudi Lenz Chimps.

It's nice to think that Larry, Moe & Curly Joe picked up a few bucks working Shrine and PAL shows but just imagine if the Stooges had worked circus back in their prime?

THAT would have been something!

Anonymous said...

Well , someone has to ask the question so here goes "which one is Ben?"