Monday, November 28, 2005

Madison Sq. Garden 1978 #4


During all this. I must admit I was on top of the world. Being born and raised in the circus business, you are always in the shadow of the "Big Show" and in my case, being somewhat of a Circus Fan as well, it was a life time ambition to work elephants in the center ring with the Ringling Show in Madison Square Garden.
In the grand scheme of things tho when I left after six years of Ringling employ, I had less money than when I joined. Big Apple Circus changed all that, during 19 seasons with that Company we built our home in Florida and thru Barbara,s good business sense in making a few investments, we now live in mosest comfort in retirement.
Today things have changed, the elephant ride has corrupted most elepant men to the point where the Ringling Show or the Garden are meaningless without the ride. One guy I talked with briefly last winter said "The Insurance around here is very good".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buckles, This is the best photo of you that I have ever seen. It says it all. Master of his world. Beautiful and unforgettable. I sure do cry easier than I used to. Things like this choke my up. Must be a female thing.

Anonymous said...

Buckles you are right about the elephant rides corrupting most elephant men. Took my family to the Hammond Indiana shrine Circus last Saturday night. For years a Polack Date now produced now by George Carden. Show started 15 min late because of good business on the elephant rides $6.00 a head. A 15 minn intermission went to 45 minn because of elephant rides. The show hand 3 elephants giving rides and only 1 performed during the show her name was Betty and she did next to nothing in the ring while 12 half naked show girls dressed as cowgirls danced around her. There were 5 good acts and the rest trash, How I long for the good old days and the Polack Show. This show was a real sleeper.