Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Home Sweet Home


After all these years last June we finally sold my mother's home in beautiful down town Hugo, Oklahoma yet we recently received the customary annual $250 Property Tax bill but three months after the fact.
I suppose technically we would be responsible for half the bill but our CPA told us that the Realty Co. is responsible for tying up all the loose ends and once the check is in hand all bets are off. Yesterday I recieved a call from a friend in Hugo saying that I am the talk of the town and the words "tar" and "feathers" were being bandied about should I ever return.
I'm surprised the news should hit the streets so soon, after all it's not the Trump Towers but I had better send them a C-note to square the beef before someone spray paints "Scofflaw" on my nice tombstone.

Then this morning I see that my comment on the CHS Web Site had been yanked, evidently I came on a bit too strong however it seems like only yesterday that one of the Ringling Vice Presidents, Richard Froeming, told me that until I came around he thought that "Sells-Floto" was synonymous with selling things.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never read any bad things from you about Hugo. Why the Tar and Feathers? I was only around Hugo for three years and I never saw anything to brag about myself. The people were nice tho. I thought your mom retired to Florida to live with her sister in the 70s. RBBB is just not the same show it used to be, but then again what is.

Anonymous said...

Buckles--Please reprint your CHS site comments here for those who missed them. Anyone would sooner read your observations than those of some Feld show town-monkey.

Buckles said...

It was item #866 in which some student sincerely asked how to get RBBB history.
Bob Cline gave a very thorough explanation on what books to research and how to get them.
After reading this I made a one sentence comment to the student "Which ever you decide, don't waste your time contacting Ringling Bros.-Barnum & Bailey Circus".
I got no response from RBBB or anyone at all . In fact Richard Froeming is long since in Heaven.

Anonymous said...

I read that comment. I got the feeling you feel the same way about RBBB as I do about CB in TENN. So much for freedom of speech.

Buckles said...

Under pressure from home I paid the damn property tax $271.01 so now with my Civic duty done all is calm out on the plains.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that your headstone is now safe and won't get dumped in Paris with all the other riff-raff. I suspect that Hugo's acting City Manager might well know where to hunt you down.

Anonymous said...

What and when was the earliest circus to use Hugo Oklahoma as a winter quarters?
Acouple of years ago,the Culpepper circus came near the town where I live,they had two female African elephants"Barbara" and "Connie".
One was spared from a culling operation in South Africa and the other was a rare Forest elephant.
I believe they said that they came from Hugo Oklahoma.

Buckles said...

I think it was around 1940 when the Kelly-Miller Show was quite small they closed their season in Hugo and spent the winter at the fairgrounds. Dispite being low on funds they were so well treated that they made it their permanent home.
Today three circuses winter there Carson & Barnes, Kelly Miller and Culperrer & Merriwether.